Selby pulls out of China Open

14:19:00 Ramona Dragomir 0 Comments

World number one, Mark Selby pulled out of the 2012 China Open tournament with a neck injury.

We are all very used to see players pulling out of events a few days before they start or at the last minute, but it can happen during one as well. Selby is a living proof of that, the Englishman suffering from a neck injury that has bothered him even during his first match played against wildcard Li Hang, whom he beat 5-0.

After that match the Leicester man said for World Snooker: 

"I didn't really know how I was going to perform because I have a problem with my neck, I've been suffering a little bit of pain. But putting that aside the performance itself was good, I played really well and didn't give Li Hang many chances."

Although he was looking forward to his next snooker rendez-vous with Ding Junhui, that was supposed to happen today from 12:30 (UK time), Mark Selby decided it was for the best to withdraw from the tournament.

He said: "I'm absolutely gutted to have to pull out and to let down the Chinese fans as I was really looking forward to playing Ding tonight. But I have been suffering with neck pain and I struggled through my first round match. I don't want to do any more damage, especially with the World Championship coming up, so I'm going back to the UK to get some treatment. I look forward to coming back to China soon as I love playing here."

Due to Selby's withdrawing, Ding Junhui gets a bye for the quarter-finals where he's going to meet the winner of Ali Carter v. Lu Ning match.

Get well soon, Selby!


0 comments: